When You Look Good, You Feel Good…
…here’s how I feel about that line…WHAAATTT???
That’s a line from a new commercial on television. I do not agree with that AT ALL! So much so that I feel the need to write about it! Again, the line is, “when you look good, you feel good.” Does anyone else other than me disagree with that? Doesn’t it make more sense that when you FIRST feel good, THEN you look good? I’m sure that I am over-thinking this but I think that our little girls get enough self-esteem killers today. I’m not going to get all political on you, I just want to know what you think.
I know for me, if I don’t feel good, I certainly don’t have any extra energy to make myself look like I’m on the red carpet. I’m good if I can muster up halfway decent. My decent is a pony (a ponytail), my stretch slim-fit exercise pants in black and a sweater, if I just have to venture outdoors. If I “look good” it’s because I may be having a low-pain day. I suffer from a herniated disc in my lower back as well as RSD (Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy) also know as CRPS II. And before my fellow female peers want to burn torches outside my house. I’m not saying that we only look good if we have eyelashes flapping past our eyebrows. Pouty bee-stung lips. Or a bang hanging over 1 eye. I mean looking good as in a happy disposition. Maybe glowing skin (and not from throwing up all day), and shoulders not hunched over in an “I give up,” position.
“When You Look Good, You Feel Good”
PHOOEY on that! I just don’t think that that’s true. I have had rare moments where I wasn’t feeling good and managed to not look like I went 12 rounds. Putting on some MAC Lip Glass and making sure my edges were perfectly matted down, did make my countenance perk up. Stood up a little straighter, ok. Maybe un-furrowed by brows but LOOKING a tiny bit better did NOT make me feel better.
I’m not saying that when I am having bad days that I look like death warmed over, but I certainly do not look good.
I am sticking to my guns here, lol. If we FEEL good, be it physical, emotional or mental, then our outer appearance reflects that. Placing looking good before feeling good to me is not the right message. But this is just my opinion. No one has to agree with me. I certainly am always open to hearing other people’s thoughts even about MY opinions. So, if you do believe that when you look good, you feel good, ok. Just give me your secret to that.
If you’re having a day you’re not feeling your best (and again, I don’t just mean physically), try:
- A warm bath with a few drops of essential oils to relax and calm the senses
- Having a glass of wine (a moderate amount of wine and that bath will go nicely together)
- Exercising a little bit to amp up the endorphins
- Making a favorite recipe and dig in
- Reading to your children, then steal all of their hugs & kisses
- Grabbing your cat or dog and just love on them
- Calling a true friend and let them know what you’re going through
- Putting on a favorite classic movie and get cozy up under your favorite blanket
- Buying yourself that dress, blouse or handbag you want (retail therapy is real!)
- Prayer. If you’re a praying person…do this first
- Giving yourself a nice mini-facial
- If convenient, taking a little trip for a weekend to just get away
- Crying it out (I mean like a Kim Kardashian cry it out)
Just some things that have worked for me.
I don’t think when you look good, you feel good. I believe that if you feel good, you look good.
If you’re not feeling your best, I am glad you stopped by and I hope you are back to 100% soon.